A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, and use of any building or structure within the county.
How To Apply:
Complete the Building permit application and submit it to the Development Services Administration, Building Permit Section.
Please review the applicable checklist for your project:
- Checklist - New Commercial Buildings and Additions
- Checklist - Commercial Alteration
- Checklist - Residential Building Permit
- Checklist - Demolition Permit
Depending on the scope of the permit and the location of the subject property, several approving agencies may need to review the application prior to final approval. These approving agencies may include:
County of Maui:
- EM - Department of Environmental Management
- FD - Maui Fire Prevention Bureau
- HHC - Department of Housing & Human Concerns
- ITSD - Information Technology Services Division (County Jobs Only)
- PARKS - Department of Parks and Recreation
- PD - Planning Department
- BL -Public Works, DSA, Building Plan Review Section
- EL - Public Works, DSA, Civil Construction Section
- WD - Department of Water Supply
State of Hawaii:
- DOE - State Department of Education (DOE)
- HD - Hawaii State Department of Health
- DLNR - State Department of Land & Natural Resources
Duration of Approval:
Every permit issued by the building official under the provisions of this code shall expire by limitation and become null and void if the building or work authorized by such permit is not commenced within 1 year from date of issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work is commenced for a period of 1 year.
The building permit and plan review fees shall be assessed as set forth in the annual budget ordinance.
Set of Plans Required:
Eight (8) sets of plans drawn to scale to include, but not limited to site plan, floor plan, foundation plan, roof framing plan, cross/wall section, and elevations. View the Commercial and Residential Checklists for more information about plan submission.
Related Applications and Forms:
- Application for Building Permit
- Letter for Notification of Change of Contractor
- Vector Control Form
- Declaration of Exemption from Building Permit Requirements per Act 203 - Agricultural Building Permit Exemption (Revised March 2017)
- Sample of Energy Code Certification Block Residential & Commercial Projects
- Modular Office Trailer (MOT) Pre-Approved Application
- Permit Expiration, Extension, and Refund Information
- Historic Resources Form
- Miscellaneous Inspection Checklist (Revised November 2015)
- Miscellaneous Inspection Request (Revised November 2015)
- WWRD Commercial Detailed Requirements
- Act 204 - Solar Water Heater System Requirement for New Dwellings
- Maui County Building Code Amendments
Contact Information: Department of Public Works
Development Services Administration
Building Permit Section
250 S. High St.
Wailuku, HI 96793
Ph: (808) 270-7250