Metals and Abandoned Vehicles
Dispose of Vehicles Properly
Vehicles that are no longer repairable or must be disposed of should be taken to a scrap metal operator permitted to take vehicles. Call for fees and instructions:
- Hammerhead Metals Island Recycling Ph: (808) 280-8844
Do the right thing -Don't Dump Your Junk!
Park Smart - Don't Get Tagged and Towed
Do NOT store your vehicle parked along the road. If your vehicle is not going to be used for a long period of time, move it fully onto your property. Vehicles parked along the roadside for extended periods of time are subject to being determined as “Abandoned.” (Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS), Ch. 290; Maui County Code, Ch. 10.48)
If tagged with the orange “Abandoned Vehicle” sticker, it may be towed within 24 - 48 hours to the County of Maui storage yard and the vehicle’s owner will be required to pay all charges. Removing the Abandoned Vehicle sticker will not prevent your vehicle from being towed. Only moving the vehicle off the road, onto your property, will prevent it from being towed away.
Reporting an Abandoned Vehicle
Your report will assist us in quickly locating suspected abandoned vehicles, initiating the required investigation, and removing these vehicles from public streets, municipal parking lots, parks and beaches.
Only vehicles abandoned on public property and tagged by the Maui Police Department may be removed by the County of Maui. If a vehicle is abandoned on private property it is the responsibility of the property owner to remove such vehicles (HRS, Ch. 290-11).
If you would like to report a suspected abandoned vehicle located on a public road or public property, please call the Maui Police Department at (808) 244-6400 and have the following information ready:
- Specific location of the vehicle, for example, in front of what address, the nearest cross street, distance from nearest landmark, etc.
- License plate number, if available
- Make of the vehicle
- Type and color of the vehicle
- How long the vehicle has been at this location
Claiming an Abandoned Vehicle
Abandoned vehicles that have been taken into custody by the County of Maui may be claimed by the legal or registered owner at the County’s Abandoned Vehicles office. Please call first to make an appointment. The office is located at:
Abandoned Vehicle Office
Wells Street Professional Building
2145 Wells St., Suite 103
Wailuku, HI 96793
Phone: (808) 270-8217
Fax: (808) 876-4601
To claim the vehicle the owner must:
- Present a valid driver's license or State-certified pictured identification at time of payment
- Pay all towing charges and other related charges in cash or money order prior to the release of the vehicle
- Sign a removal agreement
- Remove the vehicle from the storage facility as arranged