Operation of Bike Rack
The Sportworks Bike-Rack-for-Buses has been designed to make as low an impact as possible on transit operations. All loading and unloading of bicycles can be done by the bicycle rider. Sportworks suggests that loading of children's bicycles be done by an accompanying adult, but the rack can be easily loaded by young children.
How to Use the Rack
These are the steps that should be followed when using the rack.
- Prepare your bike for loading. Remove water bottles, pumps and other loose items that could fall off while the bus is in motion.
- Inform the bus driver that you will be loading your bike. You must load your bike from the curb or in front of the bus. Do not step into oncoming traffic to load your bike.
- Squeeze handle up to release latch, then fold down the bike rack. You only need to use one hand to unlatch and pull the bike rack down, so you can hold your bike with your other hand. It is not necessary to lean your bike against the bus.
- Lift your bike onto the bike rack, fitting wheels into proper wheel slots. Each wheel slot is clearly labeled for the front wheel. The purpose of the directional placement is to make the bike nearest the bus easier to unload.
- Raise the Support Arm over the front tire.The Support Arm's number one purpose is to add lateral support for the bicycle when the bus is in motion or at rest. Many bikes will sit in the wheel well without the use of the Support Arm, but the rack must not be used without the Support Arm. Bikes with especially thin rims and tires will sway back and forth without its use. The Support Arm needs to be raised so that the hook rests beyond the highest point of the tire closest to the frame.
- Board the bus and enjoy the ride! Choose a seat near the front of the bus to keep an eye on your bike. DON'T FORGET you have a bike with you when you get off at your stop. New riders often do!
- Inform the bus driver that you will be unloading your bike as you approach your stop. Use the front door to exit the bus. Unload your bike from in front of the bus or from the curb, not from the street.
- Raise the Support Arm off the tire. The Support Arm automatically folds down to a secure position.
- Lift your bike out of the bike rack.
- Fold up the Bike-Rack-for Buses if there are no bikes on the rack and no one else is waiting to load their bike. The bike rack locks in place.
- Step away from the bus with your bike.
Note: Source information from Sportswork User Manual