Hurricane or Tropical Storm Warning
A hurricane or tropical storm warning means that, within 24 hours, hurricane or tropical storm conditions are favorable for designated areas.
When a hurricane or tropical storm warning is issued:
- Follow instructions issued by civil defense.
- Leave immediately if ordered to do so.
- Complete preparation activities, such as boarding up windows and storing loose objects.
- Wedge sliding glass doors to prevent their lifting from their tracks.
- Turn up your refrigerator to maximum cold and don't open unless necessary.
- Evacuate areas that might be affected by storm surge flooding.
- If evacuating, leave early and leave food and water for pets (shelters will not take them).
- Notify neighbors and a family member outside of the warned area of your evacuation plans.
- Use phone only for emergencies.