Ocean Safety Officers (OSO), or lifeguards, are on duty every day from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
As part of the island-wide 9-1-1 Emergency System, all OSO are trained above and beyond USLA certifications and all are certified AHA First Responders. Each OSO is skilled in rescue techniques using equipment such as rescue boards, tubes and fins, jet skis, four-wheel drive ATV's, and first aid supplies.
- South Side: Kamaole 1, 2, 3 Beach Parks
- West Side: Hanakao'o Beach (a.k.a. Canoe Beach, DT Flemming Beach Park
- North Shore: Kanaha Beach Park, HA Baldwin Beach Park, and Ho'okipa Beach Park
- East Side: Hana Bay (summer months only)
- If you are unable to swim out of a strong current, signal for help
- Rely on your swimming ability rather than a flotation device
- Look for, read, and obey all beach and safety signs
- If in doubt, don't go out!
- Protect the environment. Refrain from touching all reefs. Help keep the beaches clean and Hawaii beautiful.
- Swim in lifeguarded areas
- Never swim alone
- Do not dive into unknown water or into shallow breaking waves
- Do not attempt to dive over large waves
- Ask a lifeguard about beach and surf safety before swimming