Motor Oil Recycling Program & Guidelines
The State Department of Health estimates that approximately 1.08 million gallons of used motor oil are produced annually by the "Do-It-Yourself Home Mechanic" in the State of Hawaii. The Used Oil Recovery Program
, which began on Maui in 1991, helps facilitate the collection and recycling of this oil. Residents can drop off their used oil at no charge at participating businesses.
- Home mechanics only, no commercial oil.
- Clean motor oil from cars and trucks only - up to two gallons in a clean container. No bleach bottles!
- No oil "contaminated" with water or other auto fluids. For "contaminated" oil, call (808) 270-7880 for instructions.
- Drain oil filters overnight before disposing of the filter.
- Please sign in at the recycle location.
- It is against the law to leave oil at a site when it is closed, HRS 342J-9. Please kokua!
If you are ready to recycle your oil, find a recycling motor oil location